Welcome to the NYIslesScene!

A blog by a long time New York Islanders fan who stays true to the fellas wearing orange, white and blue…but thinks the Islanders organization has some shaping up to do.



Islanders 2014-15 Season Mantra

Try not. Do...or do not.

~Yoda


Sunday, February 17, 2008

The NHL's New Look? I Wouldn't Buy It


So it seems as though some influential NHL goalies have elected to try and influence the league to allow them to have corporate logos on their jerseys. Not a good thing for traditionalists, as the following article points out, but owners would love it because it rakes in the money.


Now, I understand that this is a business, but it's getting out of hand. I would not buy a goaltender's jersey that has ads on it, especially if it (likely) would be made to look like the MLS jerseys, with ads all over them to make the players look like walking billboards.


Observe above the picture of David Beckham. Is he playing for the LA Galaxy, or that unclear company he's endorsing? When does advertising draw the line? When the ads are branded on the players themselves. The NHL would do well to its fans by not endorsing this idea, and luckily as far as I've read, they haven't.
I know that when I purchase my DiPietro jersey, I'd like to see the Islanders crest and number 39 on it. Nothing more. If this game becomes increasingly corporate, just like every other league, we'll have a problem on ours hands.


No comments: