Welcome to the NYIslesScene!

A blog by a long time New York Islanders fan who stays true to the fellas wearing orange, white and blue…but thinks the Islanders organization has some shaping up to do.



Islanders 2014-15 Season Mantra

Try not. Do...or do not.

~Yoda


Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hockey Worth Coming Home To

Islanders 3 : Ottawa 2 (SO)

It’s great to be back home! Keeping up with the Isles while away was quite an effort. New Mexico is not exactly hockey central (they do have the Scorpions but I wasn’t able to catch a game) so I managed with ESPN highlights, my Treo, racking up a bill at Kinkos and cell phone sportscaster Angie providing play by play coverage. Before departing I scooped up Forbes magazine (November 26 issue) that had a cover story on the success of the Toronto Maple Leafs, proving concretely that winning games alone does not predict the success of a hockey organization and fan loyalty. Some of my fellow Isles fans who have the ‘if they win we’ll get some respect’ attitude need to read that article. Let’s see what else…Oh yessssss - one thing I learned while away was to never assume an automatic door is working properly. As I recall the sound of that lesson was DOINK! In Albuquerque I met a hotel security guard who was from Bay Shore and an Islander fan! 10 minutes later I confirmed with a hotel employee that I had indeed just walked past John Leguizamo. New Yorkers are everywhere!

My thanks to Angie for taking on the lion’s share of posting over these past few weeks. And yes Angie we reached prophet status, as you ecstatically pointed out on the phone to me after the Boston home game win. You were saying how much you wanted Hilbert to score, I was babbling about Park having net-a-phobia…I said ok let’s put out the intention that both of them score and BAM BAM!! they both score.
Dismissed as coincidence? I think not.

Pre-game stuff:
-Isles vs. Ottawa prediction – if Ottawa doesn’t score in the first 10 minutes of the game, the Isles will win.
-The 3-2, 2-3 games had been lingering on my mind which led me to check out numerology. After reading about the subject I added up the combined scores so far this season and the number 5 reigned supreme followed by 3.
October: 10, 5, 3, 3, 9, 4, 7, 7, 11
November: 4, 5, 5, 3, 5, 5, 1, 3, 5, 3, 3, 5, (& 5 for Ottawa game)
What this all means Isles wise? I haven’t a clue. It’s probably just more evidence that I have way too much time on my hands – either that or my time management skills stink and there is an overdue bill that is now screaming for attention.
-After loading up on Isles and other hockey stuff I wound up having a dream where I was saying to someone that the Isles were showing signs of becoming a Stanley Cup winning team.

Hey what can I say? This is the way it flows on my planet. : )

Onto the game which was incredible! The Isles welcomed back Bates who appeared to still have his groove on after being out for what must have seemed like eternity. DP appeared calm and confident from head to toe and at times like this he physically demonstrates the difference between power and force. The word graceful also comes to mind. Vasicek has that special something many athletes would like to possess, an innate gift of dexterity. Just say yes to some off ice bilateral co-ordination training…piano lessons maybe? As in a jigsaw puzzle I’ve been waiting to hear Park ‘snap’ into place on the team and it appears he’s headed in that direction. Sillinger and Guerin – way to show the young ones how it’s done. Like the dynamic duo formerly known as Witt and Hill, these two fellas have a nice on ice chemistry. As for Ottawa, they seemed a wee bit deflated, lacking the speed that has been running circles around their opponents. The Isles could have fallen into the trap of playing down to that but instead they seized an opportunity and took full advantage.

The physical challenge of beating Ottawa has been achieved; it’s time for the fellas to replenish their adrenal glands and step up to the mental challenge of beating the Rangers while some of us step up to the challenge of being surrounded by Ranger’s fans at MSG.

LET’S GO ISLANDERS!!!

No comments: