Welcome to the NYIslesScene!

A blog by a long time New York Islanders fan who stays true to the fellas wearing orange, white and blue…but thinks the Islanders organization has some shaping up to do.



Islanders 2014-15 Season Mantra

Try not. Do...or do not.

~Yoda


Monday, January 21, 2008

Where Did the Isles Go? Mexico with Tony Romo?

There is no team I want to see the Isles beat more than the Flyers. Having lived in Philly amongst Flyer fans…enough said. Because my work takes me out of town each week (I’ll give ya one guess as to where) I am often going to the Isle’s home games last minute, sometimes seeking out single tickets on Islander Mania. This time around, I found a ticket and sat with Marc, a fellow NYC Isle’s fan who has been a season ticket holder since the very same year I started going to the games – 1973. We drove out to the game together and it was great talking about all things Isles over the past 34 years! Even though he posted where the seat was, I totally spaced out on that until walking down the stairs, stopping at seats 6 rows back behind the Flyer’s bench. Not exactly the view desired but watching the game from where you can feel the chill of the ice with an Isle's fan who knows his stuff was well worth enduring the immediate view of black and orange.

Even though the Isles ended the 1st period ahead 3-1 (Park, Vasicek & Guerin), I had an unnerving feeling about the game because a sold out Isle’s crowd seemed way too quiet - even Loudville seemed to not be doing their 'job'. Heading into the 2nd period, it seemed like the Isles had a few choices – score some more goals to widen their lead and lessen the chance for a Flyer’s comeback, or hold the flyers down to one goal and end the game 3-1. The answer was…neither of the above.

The 2nd period seemed to be where the game was lost, with the Flyers scoring two goals (Downie & Hartnell) to tie the game; the Isles turning out only 4 shots on goal compared to the Flyer’s 13; and let us not forget the Isles taking 5 penalties, 4 of them being Flyer power plays (Hatcher & Hunter both served 5 minute majors for fighting @ 4:41). Although the Isles upped their shots on goal to 12 (Flyers 13), the 3rd period served as a gloomy conclusion to the game, with the Flyers scoring two goals (Hartnell & Richards) and me pulling my hat over my eyes to avoid watching them celebrate on the bench.

Marc’s reason for the loss – the Isles failing to score on a 4 minute power play while Upshall sat in the sin bin for tripping and unsportsmanlike conduct at the end of the 1st period (18:23). After the power play ended, Marc predicted an uphill climb for the Isles and I went into what wound up to be denial, telling him it wasn’t so, that the Isles could get back into the game regardless if they didn’t score on the power play. At that point the Isles HAD to win so I could torture Marc on the ride back to the city. Unfortunately that didn’t happen so instead I told Marc that he jinxed the team with his prediction, thus it was his fault the Isles lost.

Where the Isles went after the 1st period is anyone’s guess. They just couldn’t seem to find each other on the ice. The fact that the Flyer’s tying (Hartnell @ 13:00 in the 2nd period) and winning (Hartnell @:54 in the 3rd period) goals were scored while two of our guys were taking a breather in the penalty box is yet another reason for Ted Nolan to implement the dish washing/lap running policy suggested many blog entry moons ago. And as Angie pointed out in her post, the Isles served up power plays to the best PP in the league. Rubber gloves and running shoes are in order here Ted. Wait…scratch the rubber gloves…maybe some dishpan hands are in order as well.

As for Mr. Scottie with an ie Upshall…unless my eyes deceived me, I believe you shot an ‘in your face’ look my way after Hartnell scored in the 3rd period. What other reason would cause me to wish I could inhabit Witt’s body on February 12th? With that said, you have inspired me to create my very first sign to bring to that game as I sit 6 rows behind you…

SCOTTIE with an IE UPSHALL SUCKS!

on a related note…

In August, 1993 I moved into Philly to attend Graduate School. My mom, dad and sister were along to help with the move to 11th and Pine. We decided to break for lunch and upon my mom’s suggestion, walked over to the S. Philly Market a few blocks away to get some pizza. While ordering the pizza at the counter I felt a little weird, actually then paranoid that the staff seemed standoffish, looking at me like I had two heads. As the counter guy turned around, my father looked at me and pointed upward towards my head. Clueless as to what his gesture meant, I grabbed at my head only to realize that I was wearing my white Isles baseball cap! Not only were we in Flyer’s country, but also in a pizzeria with Flyer’s posters all over the walls! Individual turned into family paranoia as we watched every second of the pizza making process...just kidding...sort of kidding...we did. That was one of the longest meals of my life. Truth be told, I enjoyed every Isles hat wearing pizza eating minute of it. The only thing missing was a black Sharpie so that a few go-tees and devil’s horns could be drawn.

LET’S GO ISLANDERS!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It wasn't so much that they disappeared in the second period as they didn't deserve to be ahead at all with all the running around they were doing in their zone. Said so at the game -- while the Isles still had the lead. In addition to the botched four minute power play -- I always dread those when the Isles are ahead, especially by two, hockey's most precarious lead -- Hunter's butt-whipping was a bad omen and another turning point that sealed the Isles' fate. Hopefully Simon returns for the next Flyers' game.